This section of Goa's Best Directory showcases list of Best Places to see in Goa.

Home
About Us
Register
Contact Us

The Basilica of Bom Jesus Church Goa

The Basilica of Bom Jesus Church Goa

Location: Old Goa - Goa
Description: The Basilica of Bom Jesus, "Good" or "Infant" Jesus, is a Catholic basilica in Goa, India. It is best known for housing the tomb of St. Francis Xavier, the Jesuit missionary to India and Japan. One of the richest churches in Goa, the Basilica of Bom Jesus is covered with marble and inlaid with precious stones and paintings depicting the life of St. Francis Xavier. The basilica is considered the finest example of baroque architecture in India.
Church of St. Cajetan Goa

Church of St. Cajetan Goa

Location: Old Goa - Goa
Description: Built along the lines of the Basilica of St. Peter's in Rome, the Church of St. Cajetan is one of the visually appealing structures in Old Goa. The St Cajetan church was built by Italian friars of the order of Theatines, who were sent by Pope Urban VIII to preach Christianity. Although the church is dedicated to Our Lady of Divine Providence, it has been name after St. Cajetan, the founder of the Order of Theatines. The construction of the Church achieved completion in 1661.
Church of St. Monica Goa

Church of St. Monica Goa

Location: Old Goa
Description: Located adjacent to the Chapel of St. Anthony on the Holy Hill or Monte Santo, the Church and the Convent of St. Monica was Goa's only convent for nuns. Construction of this massive nunnery started in 1606 and reached completion in 1627. The Church and the Convent of St Monica is acclaimed as the first nunnery of the East.
The Church of Mae de Deus Goa

The Church of Mae de Deus Goa

Location: Saligao North Goa - Goa
Description:The Church of Mae de Deus at Saligao, in Bardez Taluka and 13 kms from Panaji was built in 1873. It is situated amidst picturesque surroundings. The shrine of the miraculous statue of Mae de Deus (Mother of God) was brought from the ruins of the convent of Mae de Deus at Old Goa. This beautiful church is the finest piece of Gothic style. The Church is well illuminated at night.
The Se Cathedral Goa

The Se Cathedral Goa

Location: Old Goa - Goa
Description:It is the most imposing of all churches at Old Goa. Its vaulted interior overwhelms the visitors by sheer grandeur. Architecturally, Portuguese-Gothic in style, the exterior of the building is Tuscan and the interior Corinthian. This Cathedral has five bells of which one is the famous Golden bell, the sound of which is immortalised in a Portuguese poem, the biggest in Goa and one of the best in the world. The church is dedicated to St. Catherine. The construction of this church began in 1562, the main body was completed in 1619 and the altars in 1652. The Portuguese Government built it for the Dominicans.
Our Lady of Immaculate Conception Church Goa

Our Lady of Immaculate Conception Church Goa

Location: Panjim - Goa
Description:The Our Lady Of The Immaculate Conception Church is situated in the centre of the city of Panaji and is a well known landmark. It is one of the first churches that were built in Goa. The church bell is said to be the 2nd largest in the world. . It is one of the most popular tourist spots and visitors flock to see the church in large numbers. The genuine splendor of this church can be seen at night. As soon as evening sets in, this huge monument is transformed into a gleaming and radiant display as it is lit up with many small electric bulbs.
Maruti Temple Goa

Maruti Temple Goa

Location: Panjim - Goa
Description:The Maruti temple is situated on top of of the Altinho hillock overlooking the Fontainhas district in Panaji, the capital of Goa. It is dedicated to lord Hanuman, the monkey god and enshrines Lord Hanuman as the presiding deity.

Shree Shantadurga Temple Goa

Shree Shantadurga Temple Goa

Location: Ponda - Goa
Description: Situated 33 kms from Panjim, Shree Shantadurga temple has an impressive idol of Goddess Shree Durga who mediated between Shree Vishnu and Shree Shiva and stopped the fiercefull war going on between the two. She is flanked by Vishnu and Shiva on both the sides.The temples of Shree Shantadurga and Shree Mangesh, two of the most revered patron deities of the Hindu Goud Saraswat Brahmin community are located in Kavlem and Mangeshi respectively in the Ponda district of South Goa.


Sri Mahadev Temple, Tambdi Surla Goa

Sri Mahadev Temple, Tambdi Surla Goa

Location: Tambdi Surla - Goa
Description: Situated in West Goa, the Mahadeva Temple in Tambdi Surla is the state's only prominent reminder of the pre-Portuguese temple architecture. Maintained by the ASI (Archeological Survey of India), this 12th century temple boasts of some fine relief's on the 'Shikhara' (spire) depicting a plethora of gods and goddesses. It was built in the Yadava style of architecture with all the necessary parts, like Garbha Griha, Mukhamandapa, Mini-shrines, etc. and presents an extremely grand look. Do not miss the impressive carved wall near the entrance, and the chiselled monolith pillars.

Shri Bhagwati Temple, Goa

Shri Bhagwati Temple, Goa

Location: Marcel Ponda - Goa
Description:This 500 years old temple in goa is dedicated to Goddess Bhagvati Asthbhuja. Two life size images of elephants made of black stone adorn the entrance of the temple. The idol of the Goddess Bhagvati Asthbhuja stands on a high pedestal is very imposing. Thousands of visitors assemble at the temple during Dussherra, which is celebrated with full devotion and gaiety from Ashwin Shuddha Pratipada to Poomima.
Shree Lairai Temple, Goa

Shree Lairai Temple, Goa

Location: Sirigao - Goa
Description:The temple of Shree Lairai is situated at Sirigao about 2 kms. from Panaji-Valpoi Highway. Recently, an old temple has been reconstructed at a cost about Rs.80.00 lakhs. The temple is unique in North Goa, the combination of northern and suuthern art and design of temples have been applied in constructing the temple. It is one of the attraction to the tourists visiting holy places, temples in Goa. Shree Lairai Saunsthan of Sirigao, Goa is one of the oldest and most famous Devasthans in Goa. The deity Lairai is famous all over Goa, Maharashtra and Karnataka, for her unique “HOMAKUND”. Every year thousands of devotees attend annual feast of deity to witness the walking of “DHOND” through sacred fire called “HOMAKUND”.
Mangeshi Temple Goa

Mangeshi Temple Goa

Location: Ponda - Goa
Description: The temple of Shri Mangesh is set amidst natural beauty and pleasant surroundings. Mangeshi, a little village along Goa's Panaji-Ponda road is not only a point of pilgrimage for the followers of the Lord, it attracts hundreds of tourists from all over India and abroad.
Cabo De Rama Fort Goa

Cabo De Rama Fort Goa

Location: Canacona Goa
Description: Located in Goa's southern most Taluka Canacona, the fort takes its name from the name of Lord Rama of Ramayana, who had stayed in this place with his wife Sita during his period of exile. The fort has been a witness to history since long. It exchanged hands between Hindus and Portuguese and also housed British for a brief period. The fort has little to offer to its tourists except for the view from here to the north and south. You could gather some idea about its size from the ruins but little else. There is a dry moat, the front gate and a church inside. The whitewashed church looks contrasting with the black laterite walls of the ruins of the fort. A visit here will feel like an archeological expedition, there is hardly any sign of life here except for the birds and some monkeys.

Chapora Fort Goa

Chapora Fort Goa

Location: Chapora Goa
Description: Built by Adil Shah of Bijapur and reconstructed by the Portuguese, very little remains of what the original structure was. Located on the southern cape of Chapora river, the fort is built of red laterite. It was finally deserted by Portuguese in 1892 and it lies in ruins today. Apart from some ruins you can spot the heads of two tunnels which were used as supply routes in the forts. There are also some Muslim tombstones on the southern slope. However, the reason why it's popular with tourists is different. The real pleasure of climbing up here is the view which offers panoramic views of Vagator.

Rachol Fort Goa

Rachol Fort Goa

Location: South Goa
Description: Seven kilometres north east of Margao is Rachol fort, surrounded by the moat of an old Muslim fort. The fort situated on the crest of laterite hillock was crucial for Hindus, Muslims and Portuguese. While the Muslims were the oldest tenants of Rachol hill, Portuguese considered it as their stronghold on the Christian faith. Hindus taking it over from the Sultan of Bijapur ceded it with Portuguese in exchange of military help against Muslims. Though the fort is not in a very commendable state but the church inside the fort has been restored with great efforts. Little is visible of its original structure like the archways on the road to the famous Rachol Seminary.
Fort Aguada Goa

Fort Aguada Goa

Location: Sinquerim Goa
Description: Fort Aguada, the largest and most well preserved fort in Goa today is the most prized and crucial fort of Portuguese. The fort is so large that it envelops the entire peninsula at the south western tip of Bardez. Situated atop the Sinquerim plateau in Bardez Taluka, overlooking the vast expanses of Arabian Sea, the fort marked a reference point of ships. Built on the mouth of river Mandovi, it was strategically located and was the chief defence of Portuguese against the Dutch and Marathas.

Reis Magos Fort Goa


Reis Magos Fort Goa

Location: Reis Magos Goa
Description: Reis Magos Fort Originally built in 1490 by Adil Shah and later taken over by the Portuguese in 1760, Reis Magos fort was build to protect the narrowest point on the mouth of an estuary of River Mandovi.Approximately two miles on north east of Fort Aguada, Reis Magos fort lies in the district of Bardez. After Portuguese left Goa, the fort was being used as prison. Of late, it has been proposed for a hotel. Though the fort is way behind other forts in Goa in respect of its size but because of its eminent positioning, it offers a wide angle view. The fort is in a fairly good state of preservation, Towards its base is the Reis Magos church. For the best views, take a look from the rooms.


Tiracol Fort Goa

Tiracol Fort Goa

Location: Tiracol Goa
Description: On the Northern most tip of Goa's shoreline, on the mouth of river Terekhol is Terekhol fort. It was built by Hindu rulers and later taken over by Portuguese. The fort also has a church inside it which has a beautiful facade, but that is generally closed, opening for occasions like feast. The real magic of the fort is its imposing height, once you climb the fort, the distant view it offers will take your breadth away. The rooms of the fort have been converted into a heritage hotel.
Man Made Caves, Goa

Man Made Caves, Goa

Location: Arvalem - Goa
Description:The rock cut Arvalem caves in Goa are some of the prehistoric ones. Finding mention in mythological tales, these are also known as the ' Pandavas Caves.' According to folklore, the Pandavas - 5 heroes of the legendary epic Mahabharata -- sought shelter in these Arvalem caves after they were exiled. The origin of these caves has been traced to the 5th or 6th century A.D. There is a popular belief that the Arvalem cave complex has been carved by the traveling Buddhist monks. There is credibility to such beliefs as the caves are built in similar styles as Buddhist caves in other parts of the country. Like Buddhist caves, these Goa caves are rock cut into laterite stone, with the sanctuary in the northern end and the vihara in the southern end. The rock cut Lamgau caves of Goa are also quite renowned. In one of these caves, you will come across a stone linga installed with a tulsi vrindavan and an image of small nandi bull in the courtyard. Another cave is much larger and deeper, probably having been used as a shelter against monsoon.
Natural Caves in Goa

Natural Caves in Goa

Location: Verna - Goa
Description:Among the natural caves of Goa, the biggest cave is at Verna, which is spacious enough to hold more than 1200 people at a time. Another prominent natural cave complex is the Buddhist caves at Rivona, whereby the "Pitha", which is carved out of laterite, might have served as the seat of the teacher.
Arvalem Caves Goa

Arvalem Caves Goa

Location: Arvalem - Goa
Description: The rock cut Arvalem caves are one of the ancient monuments in Goa. Steeped in mythological tales, these are also known as the ' Pandavas Caves.' Legend has it that the Pandavas, heroes of the epic Mahabharata, sought refuge in the Arvalem caves during their exile. Archeologists have traced the origins of these caves to the 5th or 6th century A.D. Opinions are ambivalent regarding the architecture of the Arvalem caves. Popular belief that the that the Arvalem cave complex has been carved by the traveling Buddhist monks holds credence since these caves are built along the lines of Buddhist caves, rock cut into laterite stone, with the sanctuary at the northern end and the vihara at the southern end. There are five compartments in the cave complex and the middle compartment enshrines the 'linga' held in great reverence by devotees. The shafts of the four carved lingas inside the cave resemble to those found at the famous Elephanta and Ellora caves. The Shivalinga in the second cave is engraved with an inscription written in Sanskrit and Brahmi characters of the 7th century.

Man Made Caves, Goa

Pandava Caves Goa

Location: Valpoi - Goa
Description:Pandava Caves are also known as Aravalem Caves. These caves are located in Valpoi in North Goa District. It was named after the Pandava brothers, the heroes of the epic, Mahabharata. Inside each cave there is a shivling.
Pandavas Caves in Goa

Arvalam Waterfalls in Goa

Location: Arvalem Goa
Description: While leaving the temple of Rudreshwar, one can descend the staircase to look at a majestic waterfall shedding its exuberant silvery showers. The beautiful Arvalem fall, with a head of about 24 feet high, forms a sizeable lake at the bottom, which offers a sizeable temptation to seasoned swimmers. The best time to visit this site is just after the copious monsoon when it presents a rapturous, ravishing and riotous aspect. The ancient caves in the vicinity adds a touch of antiquity to this picturesque place, which finds a major attraction for the film makers as a favourite shooting spot.

Dudsagar Waterfall in Goa

Dudsagar Waterfall in Goa

Location: On Goa Border
Description: On the border of Karnataka and Goa, the Dudhsagar Falls drop to a spectacular 600m. Believed to be amongst the highest falls in the country, these magnificent falls are located in a blissful tropical jungle with crisscrossing streams.
After pouring across the Deccan plateau, the headwaters of the Mandovi River form a foaming torrent that fans into three streams, then cascades down a near-vertical cliff face into a deep green pool.

Kesarval Springs Goa

Kesarval Springs Goa

Location: Kesarval Goa
Description: Situated 22-km from Panaji on Verna plateau just off the Panaji -Margao highway, the spring emerges from hard compact rocks and people bathe in its water with strong belief that it has medicinal properties.
Jama Masjid Goa

Jama Masjid Goa

Location: Sanguem Goa
Description: 26 kms from Margao at Sanguem. Built in the last century, the Jama Masjid was completely renovated in 1959. The new structure is remarkable for its harmonious proportions and elegant simplicity. It has four minarets whilst the entrance façade is flanked by two elegant towers surmounted by pillared kiosks. A domeshaped kiosk rises in the centre of the minarets. Festivals are celebrated here with due solemnity by the rejoicing devotees.
The Safa Shahouri Masjid Goa

The Safa Shahouri Masjid Goa

Location: Ponda Goa
Description: The Safa Shahouri Masjid in Ponda Taluka, the biggest and most famous of the Mosques, was built in 1560 by Ibrahim Adilshah of Bijapur. Adjacent to the Mosque is a well-constructed masonry tank with small chambers with ‘meharab’ designs. The Mosque and the tank were formerly surrounded by an extensive garden with many fountains. The two major festivals Id-Ul-Fitr and Id-Ul-Zuha are celebrated at this mosque with great pomp and are attended by a large number of people.

Ruins of the Convent and Church of St. Augustine Goa

Ruins of the Convent and Church of St. Augustine Goa

Location: Old Goa
Description: The Convent now completely in ruins was constructed by 12 Augustinian friars in 1572 immediately after their arrival at Goa on September 3rd 1572. This church, now in ruins also was constructed in 1602. It was reportedly in good shape until it was abandoned in 1835 following the banning of religious orders by the Portuguese government. The church fell into neglect and its vault collapsed in 1842. The facade collapsed on August 8th and 19th, 1931. All that is left today is a bell tower without the bell. The bell was moved to the Fort Aguada Light House initially (1841-1871) and in 1871 was moved to the Church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception at Panaji where it remains functioning to this day.


Solar dos Colaços Mansion Goa

Solar dos Colaços Mansion Goa

Location: Divar Goa
Description: “Solar dos Colaços” is a unique baroque-style riverside mansion on the bank of the river Mandovi. It is situated between Old Goa and Pangim in the village of Ribandar, with spectacular views of the islands of Chorão and Divar, and the historical churches of Old Goa.

Menezes Braganza Mansion Goa

Menezes Braganza Mansion Goa

Location: Chandor Goa
Description: The Menezes Braganza Pereira house is located at the Chandor village in Goa. It is known to be more than 350 years old and is situated near the church square in Chandor. This mansion is the most exquisite heritage house in the countryside, the biggest in Goa and also has a Portuguese style facade. It is a museum of chandeliers, painting, porcelain, crystal, period furniture and other antique items.

The Salvador Da Costa Mansion Goa

The Salvador Da Costa Mansion Goa

Location: Loutolim Goa
Description: Built in the late 19th century, this house is situated near the church square of Loutolim Village and is presently occupied by Senhora Costa Dias, The verandah at the entrance is pastel-painted, which lends an air of elegance to the house. Its stained-glass windows and family photographs help you trace the lineage of the family. What captures the attention is the sanctum that is open for prayers at noon.

Quinta De Halicarnassus Goa

Quinta De Halicarnassus Goa

Location: Goa
Description: Quinta de Halicarnassus looks impressive and has a stunning façade. Complementing the exterior of the manor is its beautiful interior. The owner, Jenepher Bramble, an Englishwoman, has imbibed both Goan and Portuguese influences and this is reflected in the manor.

Bhagwan Mahavir Wildlife Sanctuary / Mollem National Park Goa

Bhagwan Mahavir Wildlife Sanctuary / Mollem National Park Goa

Location: Mollem Goa
Description: Bhagwan Mahavir Wildlife Sanctuary is the largest wildlife sanctuary in Goa. Spread over an area of 240 sq. km, the sanctuary was previously known as the Mollem Game Sanctuary, a designated wildlife reserve since 1969. The core zone of the sanctuary, comprising an area of 107 sq. km., was declared a National Park in 1978 and is known as the Mollem National Park.


Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary Goa

Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary Goa

Location: Usgao Goa
Description: Spread over an area of 8 sq. km., the Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary is the smallest among the wildlife reserves in Goa. Due to its relatively small area, the Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary is known more as a wildlife resort than a sanctuary. Within its confines, the Bondla sanctuary houses a botanical garden, a rose garden, deer safari park and a zoo, initially established as a refuge for injured or orphaned animals.


The Mhadei Wildlife Sanctuary Goa

The Mhadei Wildlife Sanctuary Goa

Location: Valpoi Goa
Description: The forests of the Mhadei Wildlife sanctuary are part of the Western Ghats forests and are teaming with wildlife especially in the monsoons. Most of this biodiversity of life forms is either ignored or goes unappreciated by visitors as well as nature lovers. From the forest floor to the undergrowth vegetation and the tree canopy, the multitudes of insects, some of which are unique and exceptional are found in these dense forests and need to be valued for their contribution to our ecological, aesthetic and economical factors. In fact a small walk or nature trail can reveal these natural wonders and every single life form is a treat to watch and observe for hours on end.

Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary Goa

Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary Goa

Location: Cotigao Goa
Description: Located on the Goa - Karnataka border, the Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary is the second biggest wildlife reserve in Goa. The Cotigao Sanctuary, a designated reserve since 1969, sprawls over an area of 86 sq. km. The Talpona river meanders through the thick vegetation and serves as the perennial water source for the sanctuary. The Forest Department has set up a Nature Interpretation Center in the sanctuary to impart knowledge to tourists regarding wildlife. Avid nature buffs can climb up a 25-meter high treetop watchtower for a view of the wildlife in their natural habitat.

Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary Goa

Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary Goa

Location: Chorao Island Goa
Description: Named after renowned ornithologist Dr. Salim Ali, this bird sanctuary is the abode of a myriad of bird species, both local and migratory. Encompassing an area of 1.8 sq. km, Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary is the smallest among the wildlife sanctuaries in Goa. The small area notwithstanding, the sanctuary teems with the winged visitors who come here searching for the ideal habitat. The island landscape abounds with thick mangrove vegetation found sporadically along the banks of River Mandovi. The mangrove ecosystem facilitates breeding grounds for several varieties of fish and insects that are natural preys for birds. A watch-tower inside the Dr Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary serves the cause of enthusiastic bird-watchers.

The Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary Goa

The Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary Goa

Location: Sanguem Goa
Description: Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary is located at Sanguem Taluk in South Goa District. It occupies an area of 211 sq km and is the largest forest cover in Goa. This sanctuary forms the corridor between the Madei Wildlife Sanctuary and the Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary. It supports a rich variety of wildlife. Besides, this sanctuary protects the freshwater supply to Goa.
Query Form
Name
Email ID
City
Contact No
Query  
Verification Code*
Enter The Code Displayed hereRefresh Image
 
Man Made Caves, Goa
The Basilica of Bom Jesus Church Goa